- Internet Devices
- About Us
- Android™ 4.1 operating system
- 4.0" touchscreen
- 5.0 megapixel rear-facing camera
- Multitasking capability
- Okay Review by Ms..Android
(Posted on 2/4/2015)
- It'll do. Review by Juanita
If he hadn't broken the prong on my samsung, I would be Happy, Happy, Happy. With the ZTE Radiant, I'm happy. Maybe I'll find a manual soon or I'll be in the "Poor House" due to the many widgets that are using what little data I have plus the $20 charge ATT will add to my bill! (Posted on 11/12/2014)
- New to smart phones and finding that it's not as smart as I'd like it to be in some ways Review by Mike
First impression was that the display was indeed more usable than the Avail 2 and that the phone was more responsive to my touch. But in the few days I've had it, I've discovered some annoyances.
1. The loud 4 note plus bang when turning on the phone. I can't find a way to disable it. It doesn't help me in any way and it's embarassing if I turn on the phone when I'm around other people.
2. The Avail 2 had a setup option to automatically disable wireless network data when WiFi is available. I haven't found that option on the Radiant.
3. My tablet has an option to allow applications that require the GPS to turn it on, and turn it off again. I don't remember if the Avail 2 phone had this option, but I don't see it on the Radiant. It's a great battery saver. Without this option, using some apps requires a few additional steps to turn on the GPS, and I have to remember to turn it off when done with the app.
4. I once stumbled across something that gave me a pop-down menu to select the silent, vibrate, or sound mode. Reading the manual, I found that this was a function of the Power button. I got it to work once or twice, but I can't seem to get it to work now. Either the phone locks or I get the Restart/Airplane/Power Off menu with the sound icons at the bottom. If there's a shortcut I haven't discovered it yet.
5. When I first set up the phone, it found my Google account and apparently retrieved a lot of information about my tablet. It began installing apps on the phone that I had installed on the tablet. This was both a good and a bad thing.
First, it was convenient. as I was planning to install several of those apps on the phone. But it was unexpected and confusing. While this process was going on, I was seeing messages about "unable to install (name of the app)." I suspect that some were tablet versions that weren't compatible with the phone. But I wish it would have asked me before doing this.
Possibly related to this, I discovered when setting up WiFi that the phone had the whole list of WiFi spots from my tablet. The tablet allows me to select and delete these and I occaisonally do some housekeeping. Most are hotels that I probably won't be using again. I couldn't find the option of deleting WiFi locations on the Radiant. This can get to be a pretty long list without a way to clear it out.
6. I haven't tried calling ZTE support. My experience with contacting the original manufacturer of a product sold by another company (AT&T) has always been "You need to go to (AT&T) for support. AT&T support is horrible. They seem to know less than I do.
The manual has been of little help. I've searched the web for a real support forum for this phone but haven't found a place where I can get solutions, or at least confirmation that "this phone won't do that, and never will."
I hate to be all negative in this review so I'll say that as a phone it's OK, at least no worse than phones I've had in the past that don't have the smart features. I'd like to enjoy the new tools I can carry in my pocket, and I know I need to give it a little more time, but I don't think I'm looking for anything unreasonable. If it continues to baffle and stifle me, I'll be giving it up and going back to my dumb phone.
I don't have a referece for comparison. Maybe they're all quirky in their own ways, and maybe that's why there are so many different ones (and discontinued ones). I wish I could believe that software based products would be continually updated and little annoyances fixed, but they don't seem to be addressing my annoyances. (Posted on 11/9/2014)
Design Type Smartphone Form Factor Candy Bar Height 4.90" Width 2.56" Depth 0.45" Weight 5.2 oz. Color Gray Display Physical Size 4.0" Resolution: Width 480 Resolution: Height 800 Platform OS Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) Camera Main Resolution 5.0 MP Features LED flash, Zoom Video Capture 720p Processor CPU 1.4GHz Dual-Core Battery Capacity 1735 mAh Talk Time* Up to 5 hours Standby Time* Up to 312 hours Wireless Charging No
*Actual times vary because some features & applications may use more power
Memory Internal 1 GB RAM + 2.03 GB ROM Expandable support for up to 32 GB microSD™ card Networks Frequencies WCDMA 850/1900/2100 GSM 850/900/1800/1900 Connectivity Bluetooth 3.0 Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n Mobile Hotspot Yes GPS Available USB Yes Headset Jack 3.5mm Audio & Video Audio Format M4A, MP3, AAC, MID, OGG, 3GP, MP4 Video Format 3GP, 3G2, MP4 Accessory Compatibility Hearing Aid Compliance M3/T4 Text Telephone (TTY) Compatibility Yes
Check out the latest support materials here for your device.
Download user manuals, read FAQs, and upgrade your device's software.Expand All |Collapse All
How can I add another email account on the phone?Open Settings, scroll down and touch "+ Add account" under ACCOUNTS, then "Email" or "Google" and follow the prompts.
How can I create a folder on the home screen?Touch and hold an application on the home screen until "+ Folder" appears at the top left of the screen. Drag it there and drop it. The new folder is created on the home screen. To change its name, open it, then touch and hold the folder name for 2 seconds. You can add more applications to it by dragging and dropping them onto it.
How can I add another email account on the phone?1 MB
Can I open Word and txt format files on the phone?Yes, you can use the built-in "Kingsoft Office" application to view Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint files.
How can I delete an email account on the phone?Touch "Email", touch the Menu key at the bottom right of the phone, choose "Settings" from the menu, touch the account you wish to delete, then scroll down and touch "Remove account".
How can I cancel the email notifications?Touch Email, then touch the name of the account from the menu at the top left corner of the screen if you have more than one account. Touch the menu key at the bottom right corner of the phone, then choose "Settings". Touch the name of the email account, then scroll down and uncheck the box next to "Email notifications".
How do I change the default search engine in the browser?Open the browser and touch the menu key at the bottom right of the phone to pop up the menu. Touch "Settings", then "Advanced" and then "Set search engine". You'll see the list of search engines to choose from.
How can I set up speed dial?Open the dial pad (the "Phone" application") and touch the Menu key at the bottom right of the phone. Touch "Speed dial setting", choose a key, touch "Set speed dial contact", then select a contact from the address book. That number will be assigned to that key for speed dialing.
Is there any limit to the number of browsing windows I can have open at one time?Theoretically the Android system supports multiple browsing windows with no limitation. However, opening many at the same time will take up space in system memory which may affect the running speed of other applications.
Can I use voice commands?Yes, you can using the Voice Search application. When it says "Speak now", speak out a command such as "Call (contact name)" or "Open (application name)". Note: The phone must have an internet connection for this to work.
How can I enter text using my voice?In the places where you do Google search and where you enter text, look for the icon that looks like a microphone. For example, when creating a text message, look for it next to the spacebar. Just touch it and begin speaking.
Can I change the input method/keyboard?Yes. Open Settings, touch "Language & input", then choose a method under KEYBOARD & INPUT METHODS.
How can I add and delete contacts in the Favorites list?Open the Contacts application. Open a contact that you wish to add to your Favorites list and touch the star at the top right corner of the screen. This adds it to the list. To remove from the Favorites list, open Contacts, touch the star at the top right of the screen to open the Favorites list, touch the contact you wish to remove, then touch the star at the top right of the screen to remove it from the listExpand All |Collapse All
How can I light up the screen after the mobile phone has gone into standby (black screen) mode?You can press the power key to light up the screen.
Can I make the font size of the phone bigger?Yes, you can. Open Settings, touch "Display", then "Font size".
How can I change the wallpaper?Touch and hold on an empty place on the home screen to bring up a menu containing wallpaper options.
How can I move or delete the icons on the home screen?Touch and hold an icon until you feel a small vibration and the "X Remove" icon appears at the top of the screen. You can drag the icon to another location on the screen or to another screen and drop it to relocate it, or you can drop it onto the Remove icon to delete it.
Can I add a frequently used contact to my home screen? How?Yes. In the Contacts application, open the contact, touch the Menu key at the bottom right of the phone and choose "Place on home screen".Expand All |Collapse All
How can I quickly quiet an incoming call and enable vibration?Press the volume down key down all the way until the phone vibrates and the icon changes. Another way is to press the power key until a pop up menu is displayed and you can choose vibrate or silent mode there.
How can I have my music file be my incoming call ringtone or my notification ringtone?First copy an MP3 file to the SD card. Locate the file in File Manager, touch the bottom right corner of it to bring up a menu, scroll down and touch "Set audio as", then choose either "Phone ringtone" or "Notification ringtone".
How can I set a specific ringtone, music file or sound recording for a certain contact in my phone?Open the contact in the Contacts application. Touch "Edit", then touch the ringtone name under RINGTONE. You can then choose from the list of ringtones that is displayed or you can touch "MUSIC" or "RECORD" at the top of the screen to display your music files or sound recordings and choose from those.Expand All |Collapse All
Where are the pictures and videos taken with the camera saved?Open the File Manager application. Drop down the menu at the top left of the screen and choose the external SD card memory or the internal phone memory. Touch the folder named "DCIM" and then "Camera".
Will the camera automatically adjust to lighting conditions?Yes. When White balance is set to Auto, the camera will automatically detect the lighting condition and adjust the brightness.
How can I transfer camera pictures from phone memory to the SD card?Open the File Manager application, touch menu at the top left corner of the screen and choose "Phone". Touch the "DCIM" and then "Camera" folders. Touch the menu key at the bottom right of the phone and touch "Multi-Select". Touch the picture(s) you want to move, then touch "Move" at the bottom right of the screen. Return to the menu at the top left corner of the screen and choose "SD card". Navigate to where you want to move the picture and touch "PASTE".Expand All |Collapse All
How can I save battery power and maximize standby time?You can turn off some things you aren't using that use up power.
1. You can disable the data connection to prevent producing unnecessary network traffic when you don't need to connect to the internet. Open Settings, touch "Mobile networks", then uncheck the box for "Data enabled".
2. You can turn off the automatic synchronization of your email account(s). To do this, open Settings, scroll down to ACCOUNTS and touch the account category. Touch the name of the account whose sync settings you wish to change and then uncheck the appropriate box.
3. You can disable GPS by opening Settings, then scroll down and touch "Location Services" under PERSONAL and uncheck "GPS satellites".
4. You can disable applications which you don't use very frequently, thus saving power, releasing memory and improving the running speed of applications. To stop an application that is running in the background, open Settings, scroll down and touch "Apps" under DEVICE, touch the name of the application and then "Force stop".
5. You can stop the LED from blinking when there are missed calls or unread messages. To do this, in Settings touch "Display" and uncheck "Pulse notification light".
6. You can prevent the browser from displaying pictures. In the browser, touch the menu key at the bottom right of the screen, touch "Settings", then "Bandwidth management", and then uncheck the box next to "Load images".Expand All |Collapse All
How can I share my contacts with another phone?In the Contacts application, touch the Menu key at the bottom right of the phone, then choose "Multi-Select" from the menu. Select the contact(s) you want to share, touch "Share" and then one of any of the following: "Bluetooth", "Email", "Gmail", "Messaging" or "WiFi Direct".
How can I transfer files to another mobile phone over Bluetooth?First, turn on Bluetooth in Settings and pair with the other phone. Next, open the File Manager application and locate the file(s) that you want to transfer. Touch the menu key in the lower right of the phone to pop up a menu, touch "Multi-Select", select the file(s), touch "Share", then touch "Bluetooth" and follow the prompts.
Why is my phone not being detected by other devices even though I have Bluetooth turned on?In Settings, touch "Bluetooth" and then make sure there is a checkmark in the checkbox for "Visible to all nearby Bluetooth devices".
How can I turn on data so that I can log in to the internet?First, please make sure you have data in your plan with your service provider. Open Settings, touch "Mobile networks" under GENERAL SETTINGS, then touch the checkbox next to "Data enabled" to put a check in the checkbox and enable data.
How can I connect to WiFi?Open Settings and slide the WiFi button to ON. Next, touch "WiFi" and it will automatically look for available networks. Select the desired wireless network, input the password if needed and touch Connect.
Will the phone switch to network mode if the WiFi signal disappears?Yes, the phone will automatically switch to the mobile network when the WiFi signal is weak or disappears. If are worried about paying for data, you can disable data in Settings so that it won't do data traffic over the mobile network.
How can I prevent network downloading interruption?Yes, the phone will automatically switch to the mobile network when the WiFi signal is weak or disappears. If are worried about paying for data, you can disable data in Settings so that it won't do data traffic over the mobile network.
How can I prevent network downloading interruption?You can connect to WiFi to prevent downloading interruption with the internet, including keeping it active when the phone goes into sleep mode. To do that, go into Settings and touch Wi-Fi, touch the Menu key at the bottom right of the phone, then "Advanced" from the menu that appears. Touch "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep", then select "Never".
How can I share my phone's internet connection with other devices?First make sure data is enabled, then do one of the following:
1. To share with a device that has WiFi function, make sure data is enabled on that device. Next, open Settings, scroll down and slide the button next to "Portable hot..." to ON under WIRELESS & NETWORKS. Touch "Portable hot..." to open it and then "HOTSPOT SETTINGS". Fill out the configuration info and when you are finished, touch "Save" and the phone will broadcast the WiFi network name.
2. To share with a computer via USB, connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable. Open Settings, scroll down and touch "More..." under WIRELESS & NETWORKS, then put a check in the checkbox next to "USB tethering".
3. To share via Bluetooth, open Settings, scroll down and touch "More..." under WIRELESS & NETWORKS, then put a check in the checkbox next to "Bluetooth tethering".
How can I use the phone as a USB drive? How can I export photos stored on the SD card to a PC?1. Connect your phone to your personal computer with a USB data cable.
2. On the phone, select "Media device (MTP)" from the menu that appears.
3. You'll see a menu appear on your computer. If you choose "Open device to view files using Windows Explorer", you'll see "Z740" displayed in Windows Explorer. Now you can drag and drop files, including pictures, between your PC and the phone using Windows Explorer. For MAC OS you can go to www.android.com/filetransfer to read the information you need for transferring.Expand All |Collapse All
Software & Apps
How can I install applications onto my phone?Since the Android operating system is an open-source operating system, you can directly search for and download compatible applications that you want from the Play Store application.
Since the Android operating system is an open-source operating system, you can directly search for and download compatible applications that you want from the Play Store application?There are two ways to install applications to the SD card:
1. First install an application from the Play Store. Its installation directory will be in phone memory. Move the application to the SD card by going to Settings, scroll down and touch "Apps" under DEVICE, touch the newly installed application, then touch "Move to SD card".
2. You can install applications directly to the SD card using third party software.
Note 1: Not all applications can be moved to the SD card.
Note 2: After it has been moved, there will still be a few program files left in the ROM of the phone.
Note 3: Regarding third party PC software, please contact your software supplier for more details.
How can I install applications from computer to phone?To install applications from a computer to your phone (including MicroSD card) , you can use the following methods:
1. Copy the applications that you want to install to the MicroSD card, then open File Manager to find and run the application (.apk file) by tapping on its name.
2. You can install applications through third party PC software (contact your software supplier for more details). After connecting the phone to the computer and the phone is identified by the third party PC software, you can directly install applications through the third party PC software.
How can I uninstall an application?Open Settings, then scroll down and touch "Apps" under DEVICE. Touch the application that you want to delete, then touch "Uninstall". Please note that the system programs cannot be uninstalled.Expand All |Collapse All
How can I back-up and restore contacts on the phone?Here are two ways:
1. You can Import/Export between the internal phone memory and the SD card. In Contacts, touch the menu key at the bottom right of the phone, touch "Import/export", then choose to export to or import from the SD card.
2. You can sync with your internet Gmail account. If you haven't already set up your phone with your Gmail account or you don't already have an account, choose Gmail on the applications screen and follow the prompts. You can look to see what your account(s) is already set to sync by touching the type of account in Settings under ACCOUNTS, then touch the specific account in the next screen under ACCOUNTS.
How can I back up my data?You can do this with your Gmail account or with third party software. Touch the menu key at the lower right of the phone, touch "System settings", then scroll down and touch "Backup & Reset" under PERSONAL. Put a check in the box for "Backup my data". If you haven't already set up your phone with your Gmail account or you don't already have an account, touch Gmail and follow the prompts. For third party software, contact your software supplier for details.
ManualsAT&T Radiant User Guide (English - PDF - 15.5MB)
AT&T Radiant User Guide (Spanish - PDF - 15.4MB)
AT&T Radiant Quick Start Guide (English - PDF - 8.93MB)
Contact SupportIf you have questions about how to use ZTE mobile devices or your device needs repair services, please contact our services hotline or email for more information.Service Hotline: 877-817-1759
Hotline Hours: Monday-Sunday 8am - 9pm (CST)Live ChatEmail ZTE